The HVAC Service Internship, in partnership with Ivy Tech, provides student interns with the opportunity to complete an Associate Degree in HVAC Service while gaining valuable HVAC Service training with D.A. Dodd and the local signatory union (as applicable). The intern will work closely with the Service Manager and technicians based at our Lafayette, IN. facility, observing first-hand HVAC skills applied to real work settings. The intern will be expected to provide support to technicians in the field and the day-to-day functions of the Service department.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Provide general administrative support to the Lafayette service department
- Assist in the preparation of service estimates and quotes
- Observe and shadow the maintenance and repairs of plumbing, heating, and cooling equipment, as well as pipe fittings and fixtures
- Travel to job sites and customers in the Lafayette service region
- Maintain proper stock, parts, tools, and safety equipment in company vehicles
- Learn to appropriately document installed equipment for each service job
- Observe and document the diagnosis of diverse service issues
- Learn to identify and recommend potential opportunities for additional business
- Perform other tasks as assigned to meet general business needs
Additional Job Demands
- Body Movements: Standing, sitting, walking, and bending. Carrying item. use of hands, eyes, arms, and voice. Requires the reading and comprehending of building plans and blueprints.
- Physical ability to lift up to 30lbs
- Working conditions: Will involve working outdoors with variable weather conditions, at construction sites and in the street. Will also require work in residential structures and office building. Requires driving of company vehicles in various weather and road hazards.
Required Knowledge & Skills
- Proficient in Excel, Word, and other MS Office products
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong work ethic and team-player
- High School diploma or GED
- Valid driver license (with clear motor vehicle report)
- Reliable transportation
- Must live within a commutable distance to D.A. Dodd’s service facility and the Ivy Tech campus based in Lafayette, IN.
- Successful completion of D.A. Dodd’s pre-employment process including background and reference check, and drug test
- Professional appearance, clean work habits and good manners
This internship is a full-time position. The internship is considered a non-exempt position.
This position reports to the Service Manager and will provide support to Service Technicians.
*This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.